When you buy or sell a property, there are several types of fees and costs you can deduct. Many of them you even have to report to SKAT yourself to get the deduction. These are the ones we will go through here:
- Differential interest: when you sell a home, you typically have to reschedule or redeem your mortgage. In this context, you may have to pay so-called 'difference interest'. This is a kind of compensation to the mortgage company because you redeem the loan early and they have to continue paying interest to the bondholders for a period of time.
- Mortgage guarantee: when you buy a home and take out a mortgage, you can choose to buy a so-called 'mortgage guarantee'. A mortgage guarantee is a type of insurance you can take out to protect yourself if you cannot pay back the loan on time.
- Mortgage insurance: when you buy a home and take out a mortgage, you can choose to buy what is called 'mortgage insurance'. It protects you and your family in the event of one of you passing away or becoming disabled. It then covers the balance of the loan for the deceased/disabled person.
- Guarantee fee: A guarantee fee is a type of fee that a bank charges, for example, in connection with the rescheduling of a mortgage. This is because while the new loan is being registered with the state, known as a deed of title, the bank provides a guarantee for the loan. You can read much more about this deduction (including see an example) on our article here.
- Interest on the reimbursement statement: when you take over a property, a statement is made of the expenses incurred by the seller but relating to the buyer and vice versa. In some cases, the buyer can take over the seller's loan and must therefore enter the interest paid by the seller on the reimbursement statement. You can read much more about this deduction on our article here.
All the above costs and fees will appear on the fee statements sent to you by the bank, mortgage company or reimbursement statement. the housing transaction.
The deduction itself is the fees you have paid. But there are some elements to be aware of, which we go through below.